I’m grateful I’m actually FINALLY sitting down for few minutes to type this recipe. I made these cookies quite a while back (September!). They have been secretly stashed in my archives and they definitely deserve better than that.
It would have been considerate of me to share them maybe 2 weeks ago, leading up to Halloween, but then again I am not known to be THAT organised. Also, I only just made the connection between pumpkin, pumpkin spice and Halloween … like 2 minutes ago. Good job.
In any case, these cookies are damn delicious and they fill your home with the best of flavors and they are gorgeous when still a little warm and even more so with the caramel on top. So make them. They just deserve to be made, Halloween or not.
If you’re thinking ‘Pumpkin, yeah, nah’, think again. I’m not the biggest fan of pumpkin in cakes and yet I LOVE these cookies. Don’t skip the spices and don’t skip the raisins – these get wonderfully caramelised when baked. And for goodness sake, don’t skip the pecans because that little extra crunch is too beautiful to miss.
Pumpkin cookies with chai, raisins and pecans
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup pumpkin flour
- 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin
- 2/3 cups coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup raisins (I used big flame seedless raisins which are large, dark red and extra sweet and pair well with pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1.5 TBSP chai spices
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 TBSP tahini (I used Bacel brand which half tastes like peanut butter)
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix them well – chickpea flour, pumpkin flour, coconut sugar, salt, raisins, pecans, chai spices.
- Add the cooked pumpkin, coconut oil, vanilla and water to the bowl and mix until you get a dough.
- Scoop out and shape into cookies. Arrange the cookies on the baking tray.
- Bake between 15 to 20 minutes, until they turn golden and tantalizing cracks form on the top.
- To make the tahini caramel, just mix the ingredients together and use right away (only make what you need).
- They are gorgeous served both warm and cold!