Happy to share this burger and grateful to Humble Ingredients for letting me share her recipe! She created these beautiful cauliflower burgers during one of our Sunday cooking sessions while I was busy preparing a cheesy polenta sort of pie! What a feast that Sunday was! So much good food.
So Kat is an awesome chef and you can follow her on Instagram here, where she promises to post more recipes for rest of us to make at home.
These cauli burgers are juicy and crispy on the outside and packed with goodness and flavor. The burger itself could not be any more delicious. Simple veggies like lettuce and tomato and avocado are enough to create a most impressive stack.
Cauliflower open burger
Ingredients for patties
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 thick slices of rustic sourdough grain bread, toasted to dark golden
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 flax egg (1 TBSP ground flaxseeds mixed with 1/4 cup water – let is sit for 10 minutes)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- juice and zest of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (spelt or wholemeal works well too)
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 TBSP sesame seeds
- olive oil (for cooking)
Ingredients for burgers
- 8 slices of rustic sourdough grain bread
- 8 leaves of lettuce, washed and dried
- 16 slices of tomato
- 1 avocado, peeled and halved, sliced lenghtways into 8 slices
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated vegan cheese (cheddar type works well)
Ingredients for chipotle mayo
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tsp sauce from a tin of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or more if you like it hot!)
- Put the cauliflower florets in a small saucepan with 1cm of water.
- Bring to boil on high heat, then put the lid on and turn down to medium.
- Simmer for 15 mins or until tender, then drain and leave to cool.
- Cut the 3 thick slices of well toasted bread into small pieces then blitz in a food processor to form chunky bread crumbs. You should get roughly 1 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Add the onion and flax egg to the food processor and pulse until the mixture is loose and crumbly, but not a paste.
- Add this mix to a large bowl, along with the garlic, mustard, parsley, lemon juice and zest, flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin and nutritional yeast flakes.
- In the empty food processor, pulse the cooked cauliflower briefly so it remains chunky.
- Mix the cauliflower into the other ingredients and form into 8 patties, roughly 2cm thick.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds lightly on top of the patties and gently pat them in.
- To cook the patties, cover the base of a non-stick pan with olive oil over medium high heat, and when oil is hot, place patty seed side down and fry for 5 mins or until golden, then flip and cook for another 5 mins.
- Alternatively, you can brush the patties with olive oil and place them on a tray lined with baking paper into a preheated 200 degrees Celcius oven for 20 minutes.
- When the patties are almost cooked, toast your bread.
- To make the chipotle mayo, mix the vegan mayo with chipotle sauce. Spread the mayo onto the toasts.
- Top each toast with a lettuce leaf, two slices of tomato, two slices of avocado, some red onion and a sprinkling of cheese.
- Put a cauliflower patty on top, then drizzle with more chipotle mayo and serve.