Here’s a quick and easy recipe that you can make on a weeknight. It requires only a couple of minutes of prep time and a bit of time in the oven. The result is delicious.
The top of the stuffed squash will develop a beautiful crispiness, while the filling will remain soft and tender. The flavors are sweet, nutty, herby and comforting.
I served these stuffed gem squash with a side of simple, lemony green salad and used a spoon to scoop out and enjoy the filling. The skin of the squash is a little too tough and leathery.
Stuffed gem squash with sweet potato and red rice
- 2 gem squash, halved
- 1 cup cooked red rice (or brown rice)
- 1/3 of a small sweet potato, grated
- 50g diced tempeh
- 3 tablespoons of chestnut, fennel and onion chutney (or your favorite chutney) – I got this from Chestnut Brae on my recent holidays
- 1 tsp chili paste or a pinch of chili flakes
- freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- fresh herbs to serve (I had fresh thyme)
- tahini to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Half the squash and remove the core (seeds).
- In a bowl, add the rice, grated sweet potato, tempeh, chutney, chili and pepper. Mix well by hand.
- Scoop the filling into the squash cavities. The filling should be just enough to fill all 4.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil and bake for 40 minutes.
- To serve, drizzle a bit of tahini and top with fresh herbs.