I am so excited to share this recipe from my cookbook with you! It was really difficult choosing just a recipe (I want to post them all!) as I just love them all and I would eat them all, all the time. I chose this one because it suits you if you’re already a noodle/zoodle fan and it also suits you if you’re not so sure zoodles are your thing (or that they will leave you feeling full – I heard this one so many times). It will also teach you something new (I hope!).
This recipe is easy, gorgeous and a perfect introduction to vegetable noodles. It uses a combination of noodles – soba (100% buckwheat noodles), zucchini and …. broccoli noodles! Yes, you read that right – broccoli noodles. You know that part of a broccoli which a lot of people throw away? The knobbly stalk which does not taste as nice as the florets. Well, that bit there is actually edible and makes beautiful noodles because it’s firm, crunchy and juicy! And now you know this little secret and you can eat the whole veggie.
Nourishing Noodles is available for sale on Amazon US or Amazon UK,
for Australia and everywhere else – Book Depository .
Also Waterstones and Barnes and Noble (UK), Indiebound, Indigo (Canada).
Have you ever spiralized a broccoli stalk? Or any other less common ingredient? Let me know below!
Broccoli soba noodles with ginger lime tempeh
Serves 2 as a main or 3-4 as a side/starter
Ingredients for noodles
- 2 servings of soba noodles
- ½ medium zucchini, thin spirals
- broccoli noodles made of the broccoli stalks of one broccoli head + 3 tbsp lime juice
- broccoli florets of one broccoli head + juice of ½ lime + 1 tbsp tamari
Ingredients for tempeh
- 1 block of tempeh, cubed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- juice of 1 lime (or from ½ lemon)
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp fermented chili sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- fresh coriander and mint
Sauce to serve
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- chili flakes, to taste
- Add the broccoli florets to a bowl with lime juice and tamari and massage for few seconds. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli noodles to a bowl with lime juice and massage for few seconds. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook soba noodles per instructions on the packet.
- Once the noodles are cooked, rinse them under cold water and add to a big bowl with the zucchini and broccoli noodles, broccoli florets and the toppings. Toss to thoroughly coat.
- To make the sauce, add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk well.
- In a small pan, heat the coconut oil on medium heat.
- Add the tempeh cubes and sautee for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the tempeh ingredients to the pan and toss to coat. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, take the tempeh cubes out of the pan and add them to the noodles and serve.