I had the most wonderful cooking sesh this Sunday. Caught up with friends and a beautiful bunch of veg and spent the day cooking, laughing and sipping on soy lattes.
One of the dishes that ended up in our bellies are these beautiful (and easy!) veggie skewers. Initially I had planned to make them with veggie chorizo sausages, but we ended up using BBQ marinated tempeh instead which was gorgeous.
Your plant based protein and rainbow veggies all in one delicious meal.
The easiest veggie tempeh skewers
- 1/2 packed of marinated tempeh, cut into cubes
- 1 small corn cob, cut into rounds
- 1 small zucchini, cut into rounds
- 1 small red capsicum, cut into medium chunks
- 1/4 red onion, cut into small chunks
- 4 mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into cubes
- fresh herbs, to serve
Ingredients for the glaze
- 8 TBSP olive oil
- 4 TBSP tamari
- 2 medium garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- pinch chili flakes
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Cut and prepare all the vegetables and the tempeh.
- To make the skewers, start with the corn, zucchini and then the rest of the vegetables. I like to alternate and place the tempeh in the middle, next to the onion. The skewers are designed to fit 2 pieces zucchini, 2 pieces squash and 2 of mushrooms for each.
- Once you finish prepping them all, preheat your grill pan on medium heat.
- To make the glaze, add all the ingredients to a small bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- Use a brush to glaze the skewers then add them to the grill pan. Depending on how big your pan is, you can do them all at once or in 2 batches.
- If you have a flame cook top, 2-3 minutes on each side will be enough to cook the skewers, making sure you rotate them on all 4 sides, and glazing them again with every turn. If you have an electric cook top, they will take a little longer to cook on each side. Keep an eye on them and poke them with a fork if unsure, to check when done.
- Serve them with fresh herbs and enjoy!