Here’s why you should always have some tomatoes in your kitchen:
- They contain all four major carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene), each great on its own and all great together – their synergy provides benefits as well. Of all, lycopene is thought to have the highest antioxidant activity.
- They also contain vitamins E and C.
- They’re rich in potassium, a mineral most of us don’t get enough of.
Tips & tricks to maximize the health properties:
- Eaten with healthy fats like avocados or olive oil can increase the absorption of carotenoid phytochemicals by 2 to 15 times!
- Don’t peel them! The peel has a high concentration of the carotenoids found in tomatoes and may enhance the absorption in the body. The peel also contains most of the flavonols.
Good to know!
- Studies have shown that lycopene may help reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer.
- Studies have also shown that the synergy between tomatoes and broccoli may help reduce the risk of prostate cancer.
- The lycopene found in tomatoes has been found to lower the risk for stroke in men.
Health info sources: