Tiny jeweled bites.
These must be one of my prettiest foods. Just look at the the bright green and pink and the see through thinly sliced cucumbers. What gorgeous treats these are! And how delicious! Slightly sweet and creamy, crunchy from the crisp cucumber and zingy from the horseradish. Oh, how beets & horseradish love tuna!
You can make the beets in advance and keep them in the fridge, even serve as a dip or side dish. It goes wonderful with other grilled veggies and grilled bread, or just with grilled bread to make some appetizer crostini. It’s also a match made in heaven with marinated herring atop a wholemeal slice of bread with seeds. Am giving you these extra ideas because, if you’re not making more than 7-8 rolls, you will have some leftover beetroot mix/dip.
- 2 beetroots, washed and peeled
- grated horseradish, to taste*
- apple cider vinegar, to taste*
- sea salt, to taste*
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin cold pressed olive oil, to taste
- 1 Lebanese cucumber (or regular)
- 1 small can of tuna in spring water
- Boil the beets until tender.
- Allow them to cool and then grate them. Careful not to get any on your clothes as it stains.
- Add beets to a bowl and mix them with horseradish, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, black pepper and olive oil. (see notes below)
- Thinly sliced your cucumber and place the slices on paper towels to absorb the extra moisture.
- To make a roll spread 1 tsp of the beet mix on a cucumber slice and ¾ tsp of flaked tuna on top. Roll and set aside. Continue with the rest.