It’s definitely soup and curry season here in Perth. Cold mornings that make me want to hide under the covers just a little longer. Cold evenings that turn hot baths into weekly evening rituals. But every now and then we get a sunny warm day and then it’s nice to whip up a good ol’ salad.
I made this last weekend and my taste buds were blown away. With such minimum prep, this delicious hearty bowl packs a punch. Ripe seasonal cherry tomatoes. Beautiful fresh crisp salad. Creamy avocado. And the best teriyaki tempeh!
And mushrooms. Let’s not forget the grilled, juicy mushrooms, because mushrooms make everything better!
Please make this and enjoy! It will make you happy, it will keep you full and it will make you want to share with your friends.
Teriyaki tempeh and grilled mushrooms bowl
Ingredients for bowl
- 2 handfuls lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado
- about 10-15 cherry tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 8-10 button mushrooms
- toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cups millet + 4 cups water (or what amount your rice cooker requires)
- pinch salt & pepper
- Toppings: fresh spring onion, fresh coriander, fresh mint
Ingredients for tempeh
- 100g tempeh, finely sliced and cut into smaller pieces
- 4 TBSP tamari
- 1 tsp maple
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Add millet, salt, pepper and water to rice cooker and cook as per your setting, as you would cook rice.
- In a medium bowl, mix tamari, maple, grated ginger and sesame oil and add the tempeh. Toss to coat and let it sit a bit to soak up the flavors.
- Prepare your lettuce and cherry tomatoes – wash, chop, slice.
- Arrange in 2 bowls.
- Prepare your avocado – cut in half, peel, remove pit and cut into slices. Arrange half and half in each bowl.
- Prepare the toppings – wash and prep the herbs and spring onions. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan and add the mushrooms – if they are small add them whole, if they are larger cut them in half. Cook them on a hot grill for about 3-4 minutes each side. Once cooked, add half and half to each bowl.
- While mushrooms are grilling, add the tempeh to a hot wok with all the marinade and cook quickly on high heat for 2-3 minutes or until tender soft, stirring and tossing constantly. When cooked, add half and half to each bowl.
- When the millet is ready add 1 cup to each bowl. (Store leftover millet in the fridge. It will keep well for 2-3 days.)
- Top with toasted sesame seeds and serve warm.