Lately most of my days begin like this. Wake up at 6am or thereabouts. Make deliveries of raw healthy sweet treats to coffee shops beginning with 7am. Take care of some errands here and there. Return home just in time for lunch, hungry as and half drained of energy (especially if I don’t have time to make a smoothie before leaving or to sip some freshly brewed coffee or tea). Most afternoons I spend in the kitchen, making more sweets for catering and doing some sort of recipe development. I don’t seem to find enough time to cook or uncook lunch lately, though I make up for it at dinner time!
Yesterday was that sort of day and it is yesterday that I whipped up this crazy good, effortless, fast and nutritious lunch. I love kale and it’s not the first time I use it in salads, either raw or cooked. But it’s the first time (as far as I remember) when I pair it with mushrooms and garlic and nothing more. Three simple ingredients and 10 minutes later I got myself an amazingly delicious lunch. Now I wonder how come I did not think of it before. It makes perfect sense: kale is super good friends with garlic; mushrooms are super duper good friends with garlic; kale is awesome sauteed; when sauteed mushrooms are my reason for living. Then it must be true that sauteed kale + mushrooms + garlic make perfect food. Duh!
This is a delicious light lunch or dinner on its own, but it’s also gorgeous with a good sourdough bread, polenta or quinoa.
- 2 handfuls of kale, roughly chopped
- 4-5 medium-big mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp tahini
- olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- chili flakes
- To serve: sesame seeds and freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat some olive oil on medium to low heat.
- Add mushrooms and slowly cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add kale and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add grated garlic and tahini, season with salt, pepper and chili and cook for another minute.
- Serve with sesame seeds and lemon.