I like lentils. Brown, green, red, yellow no matter the color, they are essential in my pantry all year round. But while I like all lentils, I absolutely love the French Puy ones; they bring so much happiness to my tummy. Especially when cooked with mushrooms! There’s just something about the creaminess of the lentils and the earthiness of the mushrooms that makes me sing with joy when I put them together.
This warm salad is my ultimate go to comfort food during colder times. I don’t quite know why I haven’t shared it with you yet, since I make it so often (almost every week, on working nights). But here it (finally) is, all juicy and delicious. It’s easy to make, uses the most basic ingredients, doesn’t take more than 30 minutes and is so amazingly satisfying that I always end up eating too much.
- 2/3 cups Puy lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup chopped onion)
- 1/3 carrot, grated (2/3 cup grated carrot)
- 2 field mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 small green onion, finely sliced
- handful of spinach, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- olive oil
- 1 TBSP mustard (see recipe below for home made mustard)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chili flakes, to taste
- To serve: good olive oil and fresh parsley
- Add lentils and bay leaf to water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Lower heat and continue to simmer the lentils on low heat until lentils are tender and cooked. (about 20 to 25 minutes)
- Once cooked, drain lentils and set aside.
- While lentils are cooking, chop and prepare your veggies.
- Add olive oil to a pan on medium heat and add chopped onion.
- Cook onion until translucent (2-3 minutes) and add grated carrot. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring.
- Add mushrooms and green onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lentils to pan and stir.
- Add chopped spinach and grated garlic and season with mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and chili.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Serve warm with fresh parsley.
Recipe for home made mustard with fresh herbs here.