Today, I made myself the best black beans and avocado salad on the PLANET! It was so good that after having it for lunch, I made it again for dinner, so my better half could feast on it as well. Yes, I had it twice in a day. It is that good.
I’ve had bean salads so many times in my life, there’s no point to even try to count ’em. Being the veggie (& legume) lover that I am, it would have been hard not to. But this one… How to describe in words, in black on white, the explosion of flavors that will create such a buzz for your taste buds?
I could mention the addition of home made roasted & preserved capsicum to this salad and try to tell you what a HUGE difference those two vinegary veggies made, placing this particular black bean salad atop all other black bean salads ever devoured. I could also try to describe how the wonderful & abundant herbs refreshed the entire salad, adding layers of flavors to it that only Mother Nature can create.
I could also mention the perfectly ripe, creamy avocado which beautifully combines with all the other ingredients. Or the chili which gives this salad a perky attitude. Or the garlic without which I cannot imagine living.
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup/honey
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chili flakes, to taste
- For the salad:
- 1 cup cooked black beans (see notes below)
- 1 ripe, medium tomato, diced
- 1 small green onion, thinly chopped
- 2 preserved roasted capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced
- handful of fresh herbs: parsley, basil, oregano, roughly chopped
- To make the vinaigrette add all the ingredients to a small jar and shake well. Set aside.
- Chop your veggies and herbs and add all except avocado to a big bowl.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss to combine.
- Top with avocado slices and serve.