Good Monday, happy people! Or Happy Monday, good people! Whichever you prefer. It’s (finally) a bit sunny in TalesofaKitchen-land so I’m jumping at the opportunity to make a raw fresh, crunchy mid day snack. I’ll save the warm bowls of soup or lentils for later this evening.
The latest rawsome treat to come out of my kitchen are these zucchini rolls, made with creamy sunflower seeds pate, some sprouted buckwheat, sun dried tomatoes and spinach. They are so SO rich and filling and flavorsome. Perfect to celebrate a bit of sunshine.
The zucchini is slightly pickled to soften it and make it easy to roll, but remains crisp and crunchy and all fresh. The sunflower seeds pate is gorgeously creamy and rich, while the sun dried tomatoes add a super flavorful punch to the entire combination.
- For sunflower seeds pate:
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 2 hours
- 4 TBSP good olive oil
- 2 TBSP tahini
- 4.5 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch nutmeg
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- chili flakes, to taste
- For the rolls:
- 1 big zucchini, cut into flat thin strips (you should get around 12)
- 12 spinach leaves, medium sized
- 12 basil leaves
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, cut into fine strips
- 1/2 cup sprouted buckwheat*
- Sprinkle salt on the zucchini strips and let them sit for 5 to10 mins.
- To make the sunflower seeds pate add all the ingredients for the pate to a high speed blender and blitz until you get a creamy mix.
- Scoop pate in a bowl and season to taste.
- Rinse the zucchini to get rid of the excessive salt and pat them dry to eliminate moisture.
- Prepare all the ingredients for the rolls and begin to assemble. To make one roll add: 1 slice zucchini, 1 TBSP pate spread on the surface of the zucchini slice, 1 tsp sprouted buckwheat (gently press this into the pate so it does not scatter all over). Place in the middle 2-3 sun dried tomato strips, 1 spinach leaf, 1 basil leaf and roll. Pin them with toothpicks.
- They are best served fresh but keep well in the fridge for 1 day or so.