Welcome spring! We’ve had such a nice, warm weather in Perth lately that I’m always in salad mood. Crunchy, chewy, carby, juicy, creamy, so many kinds! And always so full of fresh flavors and sooo many colours.
This particular salad and combination of ingredients happened one Sunday afternoon when I was deciding what to do with a whole ripe papaya. I wanted to put it to savory use, but up until now I have only used green papaya in salads. Not the case anymore! Ripe papaya, also a game changer. It adds such a beautiful natural, mellow sweetness to the dish, that pairs perfectly with crunchy cabbage, herbs and toasted nuts.
Totally random fact. But I recently read that the food category that averages the most antioxidants is herbs and spices! So be generous, either fresh or dry, herbs boost the antioxidant power of your meals. Spicing up your life is healthier than you’d think.
Also, you might just NEED to know that these curry cashews are AMAZING. Like they can easily become your new favorite movie snack.
Try this salad soon! It is so easy and quick, and packed with flavor. I am sure you will simply fall in love with it.
Spicy papaya and tempeh salad
- 2 big handfuls of shredded red cabbage
- 1 carrot, cut into strips (a mandolin works well)
- 1/4 medium papaya, cut into matchsticks
- 2 finely sliced spring onions
- a handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- a handful fresh mint, roughly chopped
- a handful of cashews
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 serves of ready to eat tempeh
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp maple
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp tamari
- pinch chili flakes
- 2 TBSP olive or coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a bowl and warm up on medium low heat. Simmer gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add cashews with paprika and curry powder to a pan and gently toast on medium heat, stirring every so often so they don’t burn. Toast for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add all the salad ingredients except tempeh to a large bowl.
- Add the dressing and toss to thoroughly coat.
- Divide in 2 bowls and top with tempeh, extra fresh herbs and toasted cashews.