I am so excited to share this recipe with you! First, because I’ve been having this 2-3 times a week for few weeks now and I cannot stop wanting more. It’s by far the best raw noodle bowl I ever made. Second, because it makes me so happy while I eat it. And afterwards. Third, because it’s a perfect lunch or weeknight meal: effortless and fast. And last but not least, because I’m pretty dang sure it will make you happy too!
This noodle super bowl is an explosion of flavours, colours, textures and nutrition! I chose to combine four types of noodles because each type brings a different texture and colour to the dish, not to mention a great variety of vitamins and minerals: zucchini noodles are softer and green, carrot noodles are crunchy and addictive and orange and purple, kelp noodles are whitish and chewy. To make the rainbow even more colourful and more nutritious I added diced red capsicum, shredded homegrown kale and Thai basil, onions and chives. The dressing could not be more addictive either! If you’ve never licked the spoon after making a dressing, try combining miso with ginger, lime, sesame oil and tamari. YUM! And just when you think this dish is superfood and superfilled enough, I tell you to top it with sesame seeds, hemp seeds and peanuts. That’s how YUM becomes SUPER YUM!
My favourite way to indulge in peanuts is to slightly dry toast them on low heat with sea salt flakes and paprika. After I allow them to cool, beware, they might just disappear within minutes, before having a chance to feature in the dish, that’s if I don’t exercise serious self control.
Now enough talking. This is serious food. This is real food. Food that makes you happy and properly nourishes all those tiny cells in your body. Go get making!
- TO MAKE NOODLES
- 1/5 zucchini, cut into noodles
- 1/3 orange carrot, cut into noodles
- 1/3 purple carrot, cut into noodles (or more of the orange carrot)
- 2-3 handfuls kelp noodles, rinsed
- a handful of kale leaves, chopped
- handful of Thai basil leaves, chopped
- 1/3 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 4-5 garlic chives, finely chopped
- TO MAKE THE DRESSING
- juice of a 1/3 lime (about 2-3 TBSP)
- 1 TBSP miso
- 1 TBSP good olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- freshly cracked black pepper
- chili flakes, to taste
- 2 TBSP sesame seeds
- 2 TBSP hemp seeds
- peanuts, toasted or raw or however your prefer them
- Begin by preparing the dressing. Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
- If you will toast your peanuts, do it now. Add them to a small pan on low heat, with a pinch of sea salt flakes and 1/2 tsp paprika. Stir often and make sure you don’t burn them. They should be done and gorgeous in about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and place them in a cool bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse the kelp noodles. Tear them in smaller sized if they’re long and put them in a big bowl.
- Make the rest of the noodles. Spiralize the zucchini and the carrots and add them to the kelp noodles.
- Add the dressing to the noodles and gently toss to coat everything in everything.
- Add the toppings and serve right away.