It’s been a while since I made nori rolls, raw or cooked. I got so caught up with developing new recipes lately that I forgot to go back to the classics for a recipe or two. Well, as classic as it can be, considering this is a raw-veganized recipe.
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you probably noticed that I absolutely love rolls, in all their forms and colors. Especially nori rolls. There’s something about seaweed that just tickles my taste buds in all the right places. Either raw, made with cauliflower cous cous, or cooked with quinoa or brown rice, they are soooo delicious. Even more when dipped into a nutty, sweet spicy sauce!
The sauce that comes with these rolls is a perfect combination between creaminess, sweetness and hotness. And if you’re asking yourself how can you have a super delicious peanut dip without the peanuts, well let me tell you something about unhulled tahini. Made from whole, unhulled sesame seeds, it makes one crazy close peanut substitute.
- For the rolls:
- 2 nori sheets
- about 1 cup cauliflower cous cous (link below)
- 1/4 carrot, julienned
- 1/3 capsicum, julienned
- few matchsticks of cucumber
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- For the sauce:
- 1 full TBSP unhulled tahini (it has a dark brown color)
- 2-3 drops sesame oil
- 1 tsp tamari
- 2 TBSP lime juice
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- hot chili flakes, to taste
- First prepare the cous cous and set aside. (see link below)
- Second, prepare the sauce by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and whisking until you get a creamy, smooth consistency.
- To make the nori rolls, cover a bamboo rolling mat with cling wrap. It will make rolling easier.
- Place a sheet of nori on the rolling mat, shiny side down.
- Spread 1/2 cup of cauliflower cous cous evenly over the nori sheet, leaving a 2cm strip uncovered along the edge farthest from you.
- Arrange half the carrot strips long the center of the cous cous, top with capsicum and cucumber strips, and finally half the avocado slices.
- Keep your fingers on the filling to hold it in place and gently begin rolling by lifting the edge closest to you. Gently press as you’re rolling to get a firm roll.
- Cut your roll in half, then each half in two.
- Repeat with the second nori sheet.
- Serve with sweet-spicy sauce.
To make 1 cup cauliflower cous cous you need about half the mix here.