The summer heat has been taking it’s toll on me in the past few days. It’s especially in the afternoons that my body begins to slow down (really slow down) and I feel like taking a nap to be honest. Sure, the fact that I begin my days around 5.30 and that I exercise every morning might add up as well to feeling drained by 3-4pm. And sure, the fact that I’ve been skipping my morning coffee (after getting hooked on it again) doesn’t help. But guess what? There’s no energy slump that a good ol’ fashioned fruit smoothie cannot fix.
Coconut water has a clear color and it’s not the same as coconut milk or coconut oil. You get it from cracking open green, young coconuts or you can also find it in the supermarket. Just be mindful of the label to be sure you’re purchasing pure coconut water with no added sugars or flavorings in it. Pure coconut water is already sweet, has a mildly nutty taste and is best served chilled on its own or in fruit drinks and smoothies.
- water of 1 young green coconut, chilled
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 frozen banana
- a handful of cucumber slices/chunks
- two handfuls of berries of choice (I used blackberries, currants, raspberries and strawberries)
- 1 cup melon chunks
- more water, if needed (depending on how much water you get from your coconut)
- Add all to blender and whiz it up.
- Best served right away, chilled.