Do you ever watch movies? Of course you do. Do you like to snack on something delicious, sweet, salty and preferably crunchy, while watching movies? Of course you do. And do you want your snacks to be healthy too? These gorgeous pimped up macadamias tick all the right boxes.
I made a big batch about a week ago and initially I was thinking I made way too many and that they will outlive me for sure. I was wrong, as I tend to be sometimes. Not only are they a wonderful, healthy little snack on their own, perfect to have around when you don’t have anything around and pre-dinner hunger-o’clock strikes; but they make for a wonderful salad topping! Throw a handful over the ol’ lettuce/kale/spinach based dinner salad and be dazzled. They add new texture, surprising flavor and a touch of color. You’ll find yourself digging through the leaves in anticipation of your next crunchy nugget.
They have a gorgeous mildly sweet flavor, a fresh zing from fresh zingy limes and when you start munching on them a whole array of wonderful spices will take over your taste buds. I can never get enough cumin, cardamom and turmeric!
- 2 cups raw macadamia nuts
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- 2 TBSP raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 TBSP lime (or lemon) juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1/3 tsp fresh (grated) or dry turmeric
- seeds of 1 green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- pinch sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- Mix the macadamia nuts with the chia seeds in a bowl and set aside.
- Add cardamom, coriander and fennel seeds to a mortar and pestle and get them finely ground. Add them to the macadamia mix.
- Add honey/maple, lime/lemon, salt, turmeric and paprika to the macadamia mix as well and mix well until you coat the nuts with those wonderful spices. Best to get your hands dirty.
- Spread the mix onto a teflex sheet and pop in the dehydrator.
- Dehydrate at 115 until crisp.