I have been dreaming of this pie for almost two weeks now. The idea of a creamy, hummus pie sprouted in my mind one evening and just grew and grew and you cannot imagine how happy I am that I finally had time to make it this Sunday. And that it turned out so good! It is ridiculous.
It’s creamy, rich and so full of flavor. I mean, it’s made of hummus and therefore delicious by default. It’s perfect paired with caramelized or BBQ leeks or with a fresh zesty salad on the side.
This makes for a perfect dinner. But even better news is that it makes beautiful leftovers. It’s gorgeous even cold out of the fridge (which means you can take it on your next picnic) or take to work the next day and make everyone jealous.
Sweet potato hummus pie with caramelized leeks
Ingredients for crust
- 2 TBSP chia seeds + 6 TBSP water
- 1.5 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1 TBSP cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
Ingredients for filling
- 1/2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 can of organic chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup tahini
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 medium sweet potato, grated, reserve one handful
- handful toasted walnuts
Ingredients for caramelized leeks
- 1 leek, washed well and finely sliced
- 3-4 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch cracked black pepper
- 1 TBSP pomegranate molasses
- pinch chili flakes (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 190-200C. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Add the dry ingredients for the crust to a bowl and mix. Add the chia seed mix, water and coconut oil and mix, knead into a dough.
- Spread the dough into the baking pan lined with baking paper and poke the bottom with a fork few times.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and crisp. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Add the zucchini and chopped tomatoes to a blender and puree.
- Add chickpea, garlic, olive oil, cumin, paprika, tahini, chili to the blender and blitz until you get a smooth, thick, creamy mix. Pour into a bowl.
- Add grated sweet potato to the chickpea and mix. Pour into the pie crust, top with reserved grated sweet potato and bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Take the pie out of the oven and allow to slightly cool before serving.
- To toast walnuts, add them to a small pan on medium heat and toast them for about 3-4 minutes, constantly stirring so they don’t burn. Transfer to a bowl and allow to chill.
- To caramelize your leeks (YUM!), add the coconut oil to a hot medium pan. Add the leeks once the oil is hot and stir to coat them in the oil.
- Add salt and pepper and mix. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add pomegranate molasses and chili and stir. Cook for another 10 minutes until soft and very tender. Spread the leeks onto the pie, add walnuts and serve.