Hello loverly people. Hope you’re still enjoying the heck out of this holiday season, which I secretly hope will never ever end. Or at least not for another 2-3 weeks. I discovered I’m rather enjoying myself and becoming quite good at being a bum these days. Reading in bed for hours, occasionally switching to a rocking chair or couch. Then going to the beach, whipping up a smoothie or two or three. Having leisurely breakfasts and occasionally whipping up a (very easy and quick) salad.
Like this one. One pot meal. 2 minutes beginning to end. Very simple ingredients. And you probably have all of them in your fridge already. To make this I used some leftover rice I had from the day before, but you can use any leftover grain or bean you have on hand. Brown rice, white rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, cannellini beans, black beans, butter beans even chickpeas! Any will do great.
This salad is also perfect if you’re still recovering from your little food coma and you just need to whip up something fresh, vibrant, ridiculously quick and simple. The flavors are very very simple, but mixed together they pack a serious punch.
To dress the kale (and the salad) I used a beautiful coconut balsamic vinegar infused with tarragon, which tastes as delicious as it sounds. I got the vinegar, plus other organic goodies, from Niulife just before Christmas (thanks for the early pressie!!) and I am just loving everything I tried so far. All the more so as their products support impoverished communities – 100% of their profits go towards empowering communities and changing lives. You can read more about it here.
Two minute carrot noodle rice salad
- 4 big handfuls kale, finely chopped
- 4 TBSP coconut balsamic vinegar from Niulife
- 2 big tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 carrots, thin spirals
- good pinch of sea salt
- good pinch of freshly crushed black pepper
- handful fresh parsley leaves
- 6 TBSP toasted sesame seeds
- Add kale and balsamic vinegar to a big salad bowl and massage for 1-2 minutes, until the greens soften up.
- Add the tomato, avocado, rice, carrots, salt and pepper to the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients by hand, until the avocado becomes creamy and coats the salad well.
- Divide between 2 serving bowls.
- Top with parsley and sesame seeds and enjoy!