This afternoon/evening our kitchen was bursting with happiness and busyness. I made a spice packed lemon jam with raw demerara sugar, which turned out so rich and thick and tangy (translation -> the mama jam of all lemon jams).
I also turned a kitchen failure into a success! You see, the story is like this: today’s lemon jam was my second attempt. The first one, not so good. It turned out nice in texture, but my gosh, it was so so bitter. I didn’t stop the manufacturing process though; I continued to preserve the concoction in jars (nothing gets thrown away in our kitchen). At the same time my brain was already thinking of possible ways to use it. Well, this evening I used it to bake such a delightfully aromatic and moist (healthified!) lemon and raisin loaf, that I cannot wait for tomorrow’s coffee to dunk it in!
But enough about lemon jams and loaves. Let’s talk healthy lunches. Raw lunches. Like this raw zucchini pasta salad, full of crunch and green nutrition and my very own home made preserved olives. Yup, preserved by yours truly, with no additives or colorants. Just a simple salt and vinegar solution. You’d be surprised by how easy the entire process is! And the satisfaction that comes with making your own, priceless.
- For the dressing:
- 1 very small garlic clove, grated
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (I used cold pressed)
- 2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 TBSP tahini
- sea salt flakes, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the salad:
- 1/3 zucchini, thin ribbons
- handful of mixed salad greens
- few fresh mint leaves
- few fresh basil leaves
- 5 olives, pitted and chopped (I used green olives as I like them best)
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
- Cut your zucchini pasta and olives and toss them together with the greens and aromatics.
- Pour dressing and toss to cover everything.