That fruits and veggies are nature’s best medicine is not new news. If I was to tell you that we are what we eat, you’d probably not be surprised and you’d probably not look at me like I discovered the Holy Grail of healthy wisdom.
A smoothie a day keeps the doctor away, is what I say. But what about our skin? Did you know that the skin is our largest organ and one we wear on the outside of the body? Yes, true, when we eat & drink healthy, we are also feeding our skin with a whole lot of nutritious goodness. But what about all the other ‘foods’ we feed our skin? Voluntary, such as cosmetic products or lotions or involuntary, like cleaning detergents, dust, pollution, sun rays?
Whenever we go out of the house, our skin takes one for the team. It has to deal with all the environmental stress, the cold, the sun, the chemicals. At the same time, we demand it to be at its best at all times. So I’m thinking, because our skin is our shield, protecting us from so many harms and bacteria and because it acts like an early warning system (did you know that a lot of medical conditions can be spotted early if we pay attention to changes in our skin?), doesn’t it deserve the very best, natural, wholesome and fresh nutrition? Doesn’t it deserve a fruit pulp massage every now and then? Or a good ol’ natural skin scrub? Or a real, home made moisturizer? Doesn’t it deserve pampering free of chemicals, preservatives or other toxins and harmful ingredients?
Making your own home made beauty products can be so rewarding! They not only treat your skin the way it deserves, but they also smell amazing and de-stressing. This lemon & sugar body scrub is a mild one that I use almost every day when I make it, both on my body, in the shower, and on my face, as a mask. I find it leaves my skin fresh, more hydrated and softer than when I don’t use it. I find it very relaxing to use it, though I’m not sure if that’s because of its effect or the amazing lemon-orange smell which makes me want to eat it. And I could eat it if it wasn’t for the sugar; the best thing about this scrub is that it’s fully edible and it makes me look forward to my showers when I have a fresh batch made.
Why lemon? First, because I have loads. Second, because of it’s skin benefits. It has lots of vitamin C which can protect against sun damage and pollutants and also can help stimulate collagen production <- isn’t this what we need to look younger for longer and fight the inevitable wrinkle or two?
- 1/2 cup raw brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped, semi sun dried lemon peel (to get this, simply leave your lemon peel, clean of flesh, in the sun for a day or two)
- 4 TBSP good olive oil (I used cold pressed, extra virgin)
- 3 drops orange essential oil (optional)
- Add lemon peel and sugar in the blender and process for few seconds only, until you get a crumbly mix. You do not want to over process it or it will get soggy and mushy, more like a paste.
- Scoop out the mix in a bowl and mix with oils using a wooden or silicone spatula, until it forms a rough paste.
- Scoop half in an airtight container and use in the shower and store the other half in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Use as you would a regular scrub: rub/massage gently on wet skin, then rinse and wash with soap/shower gel.
- Dry & enjoy your smooth skin.
If you give this a go, do let me know how it works out for you.