It’s taste is delicately sweet. The texture is perfectly smooth and soft. It’s colors are magically vibrant and bright. It’s one of the finest, most luxurious desserts I made, ate or looked at. It will make you want to forget about cutlery and simply pick up a slice and bite right into it. Do it and then lick your fingers clean. It’s truly the best way to enjoy it.
The coconut – rockmelon combination is such an amazing match made in heaven, so full of flavor on its own that little else needs to be added or needs to be done to create deliciousness. Which makes it surprisingly easy to put together. So easy, you won’t believe it. The only ‘must’ in this recipe is getting your hands on a young Thai coconut.
- For the base:
- 2/3 cups of almond and cashew meal mix
- 3 Medjool dates (or about 4-5 dry dates, soaked in water and drained)
- 1 TBSP solid coconut oil
- For the coconut mousse:
- meat of 1 young Thai coconut
- seeds of 2 cardamom pods, ground with mortar and pestle
- 1 TBSP sweeter of choice (honey / maple syrup)
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- few small, thin slices of rockmelon
- To serve: more rockmelon slices
- Add the ingredients for the base to a blender and blitz until you get a sticky dough.
- Press the dough into your cake pan (spring form pan works best).
- Add all ingredients for the coconut mousse to the blender and blitz until you get a smooth mousse. Add 2-3 TBSP water if needed to blend them well.
- Scoop half the mousse onto the cake base and then layer up the rockmelon slices. Scoop the rest of the mousse onto the rockmelon.
- Cover and put the cake in the freezer for 30 minutes or so, then move it to the fridge until ready to serve.