Last weekend I stumbled upon the most random, yet exciting fact: May 21 is National Strawberries and Cream Day in the US. TBH I did not spend a lot of time researching the veracity of this information, nor do I care about its accuracy all that much because in a matter of seconds I declared May 21 Strawberries and Cream Day in my kitchen. And my kitchen is my tiny little universe so that’s all that really matters. I rolled up my (non existent) sleeves (still quite warm in Perth) and got cooking.
HOW RIDICULOUS DOES THIS LOOK.
Are you sitting down? Because I am about to rock your world. You ready? Here goes… This beautiful dessert requires only 6 ingredients!! Plus 2 optional ones, if you want to take an extra fancy step. But yes, 6 basic ingredients which you probably already have in the pantry. Here’s more. It only takes about 10 to 15 minutes to make!! Ridiculous, I know.
So let’s get making.
Strawberries and cream chocolate roulade
Serves 6 – 8
- 200g almond meal
- 100g coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 20g cacao powder + more for topping
- 5-6 TBSP of thick, coconut yogurt or your favorite yogurt (I used the vanilla Coyo coconut yogurt; if you’re using a plain, natural flavored yogurt, mix in a drop of vanilla essence, 1/2 tsp maple and whisk in a small bowl until it fluffs up)
- 5 large strawberries
- optional: 1 tsp pomegranate molasses + 1/2 tsp maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 2/3 tsp chia seeds
- Puree the strawberries with molasses and maple sugar (if using) then scoop into a bowl. Mix in the chia seeds and set aside.
- Add almond meal, coconut nectar/maple syrup and cacao powder to a bowl and mix until you get a sticky dough.
- Flatten and roll the dough on a flat surface lined with baking paper until you get it really thin, about 3mm thin, similar to a pizza base. A rolling pin works well for this, just make sure you add baking paper between the dough and the rolling pin, otherwise things can get very sticky very fast.
- Spread the coconut yogurt on the chocolate roulade, leaving 1 cm free on all sides.
- Spread the strawberry jam on top of the yogurt.
- Now gently begin to fol the roulade, pressing ever so lightly, careful not to squeeze all the filling out.
- Add a final dusting of cocoa powder, slice with a sharp thin knife, serve with fresh strawberries & enjoy!
Keeps well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days (if it makes it that long).