It’s peanut butter time on the blog! (again)
It’s funny when I think back and realise I grew up without peanut butter. And that now I cannot imagine life without it. I mean…look at these bars.
They’re crunchy and crumbly and rich in peanuts. And they’re filled with a gorgeous sweet banana cream. The banana cream is PG rated (aka it’s made with rum, which is such a beautiful combination with the nuts and the banana,) but it will be gorgeous without it as well if you want to make it for the little ones.
These bars will be ready quite quickly. You should be able to cut into your first slice within the hour! So they’re perfect for last minute sweet cravings or dinner preparations.
Peanut butter and banana bars (with rum)
Makes about 8-9
Ingredients for the bars
- 490g peanuts
- 140g buckwheat
- 130g dessicated coconut
- 30g coconut oil
- 40g maple
- pinch of salt
Ingredients for the filling
- 30g medjool dates
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 60g water
- 7 tsp rum
- toppings: peanut butter and crushed peanuts
- Add 320g of peanuts + the buckwheat to a food processor and blitz until you get a flour consistency. Scoop in a medium bowl.
- Add coconut, 70g peanuts, coconut oil, maple and salt to the food processor and blitz until you get a butter consistency. Scoop into the bowl with the buckwheat mix.
- Mix the processed ingredients together until you get a ‘dough’. Divide this in 2 and press half of it in a pan. Place in the fridge.
- Add the ingredients for the filling to the food processor and blitz until you get a smooth cream. Scoop this on top of the cake base then gently press the remaining ‘dough’ on top. Return to fridge.
- Allow the bars to set until firm.
- Cut into bars, drizzle peanut butter and top with crushed peanuts. Because #neverenoughpeanuts.