Classic dessert turned vegan healthy.
Am most proud of this achievement. I mean, who doesn’t like a thick, moist, dense and zesty cake? Especially when served with cream? Just imagine the hot, bittersweet aromas invading your entire house as it bakes. Am drooling as I write already. But when I think of all the eggs, butter, caster sugar, icing sugar, white flour (and what not) that usually come with the cake, I don’t quite feel like having but the tiniest slice. If at all.
Now imagine this cake made healthier. Same sweet, warm aromas baking away in the oven, leading to perfect moisture, thickness and deliciousness. Did I say same deliciousness? Oh dear, definitely no no. When done right, wholesome food made with ingredients that are good for our bodies will ALWAYS taste better and make us happier.
- 2 oranges
- 3 small bananas
- 3 full TBSP raw honey or maple syrup (or more if needed)
- 2.5 cups almond meal (260g)
- 3 TBSP poppy seeds
- 1 TBSP chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- coconut oil for brushing the pan
- For syrup: 1 TBSP honey or maple syrup + 2 TBSP hot water
- Wash the oranges very well and put them in a pot of boiling water, unpeeled. Boil them for 1 to 1.5 hours, until very soft.
- Take the oranges out, drain the water, gently wash them again (if they need) and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Place baking paper in the cake pan and brush it with a bit of coconut oil (cover both the bottom and the sides).
- Once the oranges cooled off, cut them in large chunks and remove the big seeds, if any.
- Add oranges to a blender, together with the bananas and the honey, and wiz until they form a thick paste. Now is a good moment to taste and add more honey if needed (honey quantity really depends on the oranges and bananas used).
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond meal with the poppy seeds, chia seeds (if using) and baking powder.
- Add orange mix to the almonds meal mix and blend together until combined.
- Pour the mix to the cake pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Whisk the syrup ingredients together until completely mixed and brush on top of cake once it’s out of the oven and still warm.
- Once cooled, dust with more almond meal and serve.
Add to the blender:
5 dry figs 4 TBSP water 1.5 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
Wiz them away until they become a thick paste.
Mix this paste with:
3 full TBSP probiotic yoghurt 1 small banana, mashed 1 TBSP chia seeds (optional)
Place the mix in the fridge until ready to serve. For a vegetarian/vegan option, simply add to the blender 1 cup cashews with 1 TBSP lemon juice and 1/2 cup water and wiz until it becomes a paste. Use it as per above, as a substitute for yoghurt.