Raw truffles never fail to brighten things up.
Today I was thinking to share a kale slaw recipe with you, to kick off the week with a healthy and nutritious snack. But then again, it’s Monday and Mondays are almost never easy to deal with. Especially when you have an 8.30am appointment and the world’s biggest traffic jam is staring right at you. Only on Monday mornings 5 minutes’ worth of distance turns into 40. So just because it’s Monday and for no other reason maybe we’re worth a different type of healthy. Maybe (to be read ‘for sure’) we’re worth something a bit more…sweet.
As per our usual kitchen tales, these macadamia mock truffles are super easy to put together – it really should not take more than 5 minutes to make about 8. And this is a first – they do not require any addition of honey, maple syrup or date paste. None whatsoever. The wee bit of dessicated coconut that goes in it, together with some freshly squeezed orange juice and a bit of dried apricots work together to create sweet bliss.
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup dessicated coconut
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 TBSP freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 dried apricots, chopped finely
- turmeric powder, to serve
- mild chili powder, to serve
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a blender and wiz together for 1 minute until they transform into a fine, slightly sticky flour.
- Add the orange zest and juice to the blender and process for few seconds to incorporate.
- Scoop out the mixture into a bowl.
- Slightly wet your hands, get the equivalent of 1 TBSP of mixture and roll it into a ball. Make a small hole in it using your thumb, place few bits of dried apricot in it, squeeze in your hand to cover and roll back into a ball.
- Continue with the rest.
- Once all balls are rolled, sprinkle them first with turmeric powder and then with chili powder. Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.
Happy Monday people!