This year I had a wonderful revelation (it’s only the beginning and already good things are happening!). Anywho, my revelation was fried dried herbs! In particular fried za’atar and fried mint (fresh or dry). Oh my goodness, if you’ve never tried this before, do it! I’ve first had fried dried mint on top of an Iranian lentil and rice eggplant dish and it was amazing. It made the entire dish taste so good! I had fried za’atar in these rolls which a friend from Syria shared with me. Deeelish!
These little rolls are so simple to make and they are so so good. I loved them from the very first bite. Everything about them makes sense in my world.
I used a traditional Middle Eastern za’atar which I found at an ethnic shop. It is made with dried thyme, sumac, roasted sesame seeds, roasted wheat, salt, caraway seeds, dill seeds and turmeric. You can definitely make your own za’atar though – anything DIY in the kitchen is fun and rewarding.
Did you know that the food category that averages the most antioxidants is herbs and spices? Yep, gram by gram, they score better than kale or bluebs. Cooking with spices and sprinkling some dried herbs on top of your meals, can boost the antioxidant power by A LOT.
They take about 10-15 minutes to make and they’re perfect appetizers, picnic snacks or movie share plate. Definitely give them a go!
Za’atar mini rolls
Makes a’plenty to share – 24 canapes (serves 6-8 as an appetizer)
- 5 handfuls of almonds
- 6 TBSP olive oil
- 12 full TBSP za’atar
- 8 small/medium wraps of your choice (I used simple wholegrain ones)
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Add the almonds to a pan and roast them for 8 minutes. Then allow them to cool.
- Add the olive oil and the za’atar to a non stick pan on low heat and fry it for about 3 minutes. Stir slowly and continually so it doesn’t burn. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- To assemble, get a wrap, spread a thin layer of za’atar, sprinkle few almonds and roll it up. See pic below. Then continue with the rest.
- Once finished, cut each roll in 3, arrange them on a platter and prepare to impress your guests!