Genius deliciousness happened on Saturday and not a lot of people are aware of it. Except if you follow me on Insta or FB.
I’ve been experiencing serious cheese cravings these past few days. Sweet, creamy cottage cheese cravings, not the salty and rich cashew/almond/macadamia cheesy cravings I usually tend to get. All Saturday I had conscious dreams of toasted sourdough with cottage cheese and tomato salsa. With lots of balsamic. With greens. A crunchy, zesty, cheesy, mouth watering feast. Except, I stopped eating dairy a while back and cottage cheese bruschetta without cottage cheese is not on. And cottage cheese is not something you can just make at home on a Saturday afternoon, right?
Except…. YOU CAN.
I googled the concept of ‘vegan cottage cheese’ to see if others have been previously struck by the same dilemma I was facing. And surprise surprise! Not only can you find it in stores (except it’s loaded with a bunch of foreign to me ingredients so pass) but you can DIY at home. Happiness found! But happiness lasted for only a couple of minutes, until I realized vegan cottage cheese is made of …silken tofu. Ugh. Tried it once and disliked it 100 times. But, as cheesy cravings were high I decided to (reluctantly) pick up a pack of silken tofu and chance a recipe.
And boy am I happy I did. Let me tell you, you might dislike, even hate, silken tofu, but this recipe is gold! It reminds me of a delicious cream cheese spread my mum used to make with soft, sweet cheese and sour cream. Happiness restored!
I added a bit of this and a bit of that of some of my fav ingredients at the moment (hemp, miso, lemon), garlic and onion powders as they are milder than fresh, nutritional yeast of course, and then blended everything into a smooth moderately cheesy sauce and …magic!
If you can’t get your hands on hemp hearts, this would also work with cashews. I wanted a nut free version that everyone can enjoy.
Vegan cottage cheese bruschetta
Ingredients for cottage cheese
- 1 pack silken tofu
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt flakes
- 1 TBSP white miso
- 3 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 water
Ingredients for bruschetta
- sourdough bread or bread of choice
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- handful of wild rocket, roughly chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP good olive oil
- To serve: avocado slices, fresh basil leaves, extra cracked black pepper
- Rinse and gently pat dry the tofu. Add it to a medium bowl and roughly mash it with a fork. Leave it chunky, don’t completely mash it.
- Add all the ingredients for the cottage cheese to a blender, except the tofu. Blend until you get a creamy, smooth sauce. Pour of top of the tofu and gently stir through, until you completely cover the tofu in sauce. Pat yourself on the shoulder, you just made awesome, vegan cottage cheese! Set this aside.
- Add the rocket, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to a medium bowl and toss to thoroughly cover.
- Toast your bread. When done and still warm, ‘grate’ some garlic on the bread slices (literally rub the garlic clove onto the bread) to infuse them with garlic flavor.
- Then layer your bruschetta as you wish! rocket and tomato first and then topped with a bit of cottage cheese, avo and basil. Or smear cottage cheese first to completely cover those slices and then add the rest of the toppings! Enjoy xc