I should have titled this ‘The Only REAL Thai Pesto You Will Ever Need’, but then I thought maybe it’s too bold a statement. Then again, it is really the only real Thai pesto you will ever need. That’s because it’s not only incredibly delicious, made from scratch with wholefoods, super green and super vibrant. It also happens to pack as many superfoods as possible. Actually, almost the entire ingredient list can be labeled as a superfood list.
This pesto packs heaps of freshly picked Thai basil leaves, known for their anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Tiny and common as they are, they really do help you fight free radical damage inside your body and help maintain a healthy heart. About the amazingness of lemons and limes what can I said that hasn’t been said a gazillion of times. Come on, get your citrus on! Garlic and ginger – entire books have been written about these two babes! Garlic stinks, yeah I know, BUT it’s aces at protecting our blood vessels! Garlic is known to help maintain a healthy heart and healthy bones, to lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol aaaaand it is also used to prevent some types of cancer. And I’m sure that you too grew up learning about garlic’s antibacterial and antiviral benefits from your parents. And when it comes to anti-inflammatory benefits and cancer preventing properties, ginger’s right up there too. Oh, and you want healthy bones and a non-animal source of calcium? Get into sesame – grind the tiny suckers and sprinkle them on anything and everything or build meals around them.
So, is this just another pesto? Or is it THE pesto?
Superloaded Thai pesto
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup finely ground sesame seeds (you could probably use tahini as well)
- 3 big handfuls of Thai basil leaves
- juice and zest of 1 lime (I actually used a lemon instead of a lime because I have a gazillion of them ripening at the moment; if you have a choice, a lime would be beautiful in this)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 TBSP of freshly grated ginger
- 6 TBSP cold pressed coconut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 TBSP tamari
- chili flakes, to taste
- final boost: 2 TBSP sesame seeds + 1 TBSP chia seeds
- Add all the ingredients to a blender, except final boosts, and blitz until creamy but still chunky.
- Scoop into a bowl and mix in the sesame and chia seeds.
- Serve right away or cover and store in the fridge. Keeps well for 3-4 days.