Can you imagine milk-shaking your way into the day? I’m sure you can. Now how about milk-shaking it the healthy way? Making your own (nut) milk, adding healthy frosties and whole ingredients? And not even many ingredients, just a few are enough to create delicious magic.
This recipe is inspired by Emma’s Pink Smoothie. Ever since I saw it, I knew I had to have some. I blame the color pink, the fact that it’s made with strawberries and that I am a woman, which by default means I cannot resist pink food made with strawberries. Fact.
I chose to make it with macadamia milk because it’s one of my favorite milks. It’s super creamy, smooth and silky, perfect for smoothies (or milk shakes). It’s also quite neutral in taste and that’s perfect when you want your strawberry flavor to shine. Now, if you don’t have any macadamia milk already made and you don’t want to go through the hassle of blending & straining first thing in the morning, you can chill. You don’t have to! Add your macadamia nuts to the blender, add the water, blitz for few seconds and then add the rest of the ingredients for the milk shake. It will become so rich and creamy that you won’t be able to tell your milk was not strained.
- They are high in healthy mono & poly unsaturated fats.
- They are also high in hearth-healthy Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.
- They are a good source of thiamin and contain other vitamins too.
- They are a good source of manganese, calcium & potassium. In smaller amounts, they give us minerals like copper, magnesium and zinc.
Good to know.*
- Research found that the oleic acid in macadamia nuts is beneficial in cutting cholesterol.
- The monounsaturated fats in nuts may improve blood fat profiles and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Although nuts are very nutritious, we should mind our daily intake and not over-consume. More is not always better.
Ready for a milk shake now?!
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup water
- handful of strawberries (I used frozen)
- 1 banana (use a frozen banana if using fresh strawberries)
- ½ avocado
- 1 TBSP sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup)
- Add macadamia nuts and water to a blender and process for few seconds until you make milk.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until your milk shake is ready.