This weekend, at the farmer’s market, I got my hands on a beautiful bunch of purple kale. I’m so in love with kale that whenever I have some in the kitchen I have the urge to add it to everything I make & eat. From simple sandwiches and salads (of course), to pizza and pies, and even soups and stews. And today in my smoothie.
Kale has a rough, slight bitterness to it and some say it is an acquired taste. I wouldn’t be able to have an opinion on that. I fell in love with it at first
bite chew. But you needn’t worry. The plums and the banana give a magical sweet and tangy taste to this smoothie and they do such a good job at hiding any traces of kale.
- 4-5 purple kale leaves
- 1 medium-small carrot
- 4-5 medium plums
- 1 banana
- 2-3 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBSP chopped ginger
- 1 cup water
- Optional: chia and sesame seeds
- Remove the rough stems of the kale and the stones of plums.
- Chuck everything in a blender and pulse until everything is mixed and reaches a smooth consistency.
- If using, sprinkle chia and sesame seeds on top and drink away!