This cheaters’ porridge makes me feel like I ended up in quinoa heaven! I love quinoa in salads or other savory meals just as much as the next person (or maybe a little bit more), I think it makes a wonderful alternative to white rice, but when I pair it with fruits and have it for breakfast it just hits all the right buttons. Quinoa is slightly chewy, soft, mild in flavor so you can pimp it up to your taste. It also cooks like a charm. As easy as rice.
I call this a cheaters’ porridge because I didn’t literally do any cooking for it. I usually have quinoa for breakfast when I serve quinoa for dinner the day before. I make sure I cook some extra, unflavored, which I keep in the fridge until serving. In the morning, all that needs to be done is take the quinoa out, slightly warm it if I want a warm porridge or use as is if I want it chilled, add fruits of choice to the blender and puree, and then in a bowl stir the fruit puree with the quinoa. I top everything with nuts, seeds, dry fruits, spices or whatever I have in the pantry and call myself lucky.
Why we should include quinoa in our diet*:
- It’s a complete protein, with all the amino acids we need. This is quite rare in plant kingdom so makes it particularly good for vegetarians and vegans.
- It’s higher in protein than similar grains.
- It’s higher in fiber and iron. A serving adds 3 grams of fiber and 10% of daily need for iron.
- Also contains calcium, manganese, magnesium and copper.
- It’s gluten free, good if you’re having tummy problems from gluten.
Did you know that quinoa is a seed related to spinach, chard and beets?
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 pear, cored
- 1/2 TBSP sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup)
- pinch cinnamon
- Toppings of choice: walnuts, banana, dry berries, cacao nibs, chia seeds
- Bring the water to a boil and stir in the quinoa. Cover and simmer until cooked. About 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and allow to rest.
- Add apple and pear to a blender and puree.
- In a separate bowl, pour the fruit puree, add sweetener and stir in the quinoa.
- Add toppings and serve right away.
Health info source: WebMD.com