I’m so happy to share this recipe with you! Because these little oat breads (or bagels, or mini loaves) are just delicious! They go with anything and everything you want to smash or spread on them and they also make the most delicious snack on their own. Tried and tested by yours truly on multiple occasions.
Once you get the hang of this (easy) recipe, you’ll be making double batches in no time. And I strongly recommend you do!
Olives and thyme oat breads
- 2 TBSP chia seeds + 6 TBSP water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup wholegrain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 medium shallot onion
- 1 medium green apple
- 1/5 cup water
- handful thyme (or parsley)
- 7 olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/5 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven at 220C.
- Mix the chia seeds with the 6 TBSP of water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the oats, hemp, chickpea flour and wholegrain flour to a big bowl.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda and sea salt to the flour mix and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Add the onion, apple and water to a blender and puree.
- Add the puree to the flour mix.
- Add the chia mix to the flour mix.
- Add chopped olives to the flour mix.
- Add olive oil and thyme to the flour mix.
- Mix well until you have a dough (or something resembling a dough).
- Grease a baking tray with olive oil.
- Hand shape the mix into buns or bagels and arrange on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until buns are cooked on the inside.
- Allow to cool and enjoy! And avocado + cashew cheese combo is always a good idea for a mini stack.