If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know I
like love my green smoothies, for breakfast and any other time of day really. I think green smoothies, packed with leafy greens and all the right goodies, are a universal solution to any ache, pain, soreness, sadness, laziness, tiredness and what not. They have this magical power to restore physical and emotional balance and wellbeing, to boost happiness levels and settle a hangry tummy.
And if you’re up to date with my current obsessions, you’re probably not surprised to hear I’m adding quinoa to my smoothies these days. ‘Twas about time, right?
The other day we went out for lunch and one hour and few $$ later, I was as hangry as anyone can get. After an incredibly busy morning, skipping breakfast (rarely happens!), I was really really looking forward to sink my teeth into what sounded like a promising, filling rocket beetroot salad with lots of noms in it. ‘Big’ they said on the menu, ‘perfect’ was my reaction. Alas, the serving size was barely enough to give me strength to get home, prep some veggies and fruits and turn on my ol’ faithful blender.
This was the first time adding popped quinoa to a smoothie and to be honest, I was rather skeptical as to the texture and taste of the resulting concoction. I thought it might get too thick, in which case I’d have to ‘dilute’ it with water, or not smooth enough. And who fancies a grainy textured smoothie?! Ugh. I went ahead with it anyway because I was way too hungry and because quinoa is so wonderfully nutritious and filling. Worst case scenario I thought I’d be eating it by the spoonful and call it porridge. But turns out my poorly spent $$ led to a life changing smoothie making discovery! I call this smoothie a meal in a jar because out of all the smoothies I made to date, this is by far the most filling. It kept me satisfied for hours without a trace of food cravings.
And it’s so incredibly delicious too! There’s a whole young coconut in it, a bunch of veg and citrusy tart fruits, aaaand ginger and turmeric, my favourite smoothie additions. The kale makes it perfectly green, the fruits make it refreshingly zesty and the popped quinoa gives it a wonderfully toasty flavour.
- 1 young coconut, water and flesh
- 2 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 apple, roughly chopped
- 1 big banana, roughly chopped
- 1 orange, peeled, pitted, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup popped quinoa + 1/2 cup to serve (*see note below)
- fresh ginger, about 2cm piece
- fresh turmeric, about 1cm piece
- optional: 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- Add all the ingredients to the blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. If too thick (depends how much water you get from the coconut and how moist the flesh is), add more water, a bit at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- Pour half the smoothie in the jar, add the 1/2 cup popped quinoa reserved for serving and pour the rest of the smoothie on top.
- Mix the quinoa through the smoothie and serve right away.
* Note: I discovered I like crunchy surprises in my smoothies. I like the sip- sip-chew-sip experience, thus I added extra popped quinoa to my finished smoothie. Feel free to blend it all to make it smooth if you wish.