You know how sometimes you’re craving a green smoothie in the morning, you get all excited about making one, you swiftly get out of bed and dive into the fridge, reaching for the bottom shelf, only to discover you are out of leafy greens? At that point, one might experience immense disappointment, sadness even. One might feel like the world is falling apart if you can’t even whip up an ol’ fashioned green drink when you need it. Ooorr one might think of improvising.
I made this the other day after experiencing the aforementioned end of the world feeling. And you know what? Green smoothies made with herbs kinda kick ass. Necessity is the mother of all great discoveries. This smoothie is not only green, but packs a nutritional punch like you would not believe! Basil is rich in vitamin K and is a good source of magnesium, manganese, copper and vitamins A & C. Super useful to know is that basil is a great anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory food too! And it’s rich in beta-carotene which is a powerful antioxidant, my favorite word.
Green fruits and basil smoothie
- 1 cup basil
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 celery rib
- 1 green apple
- 1 pear
- 1 big banana
- 1 piece of ginger (however big/small you fancy, depending how much you love ginger)
- 1 TBSP tahini
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- Enough water to blend. Start with 1.5 cups and continue to add 1/2 cup at a time, as needed.
- Optional: 1 tsp matcha green tea
- Optional to serve: as a smoothie bowl, topped with granola
- Chuck everything to blender, blitz and serve right away. This smoothie oxidizes quite fast because of the basil.