Every now and then I crave grapefruit. And I mean I really really crave it. Yes, I crave it’s tart, tangy, mildly sweet bitterness, it’s super juicy and soft flesh and the sparkles it provides my body. By sparkles I mean health benefits 😉
Grapefruit is an antioxidant powerhouse that has been shown to help reduce bad cholesterol levels. Grapefruit is very rich in vitamin C that supports our immune system, helps fight inflammation and helps promote a healthy heart. The pink and red ones are also rich in lycopene that fights nasty free radicals in our bodies. (happy dance moment)
If you don’t dig the bitterness and haven’t been able to enjoy a grapefruit on its own, try pimping it up with this cardamom-honey (or sweetener of choice) dressing. Sprinkle some fresh herbs on top and you’ll be in for a real fresh treat! I went for some thyme freshly picked from our little herb corner, but I reckon fresh mint would be great too.
- 1 fully ripe grapefruit, peeled and pitted
- 1-2 TBSP sesame seeds
- inca berries & pepitas (or toppings of choice)
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme (or other fresh herb)
- For the dressing:
- 1 TBSP raw honey (or sweetener of choice)
- seeds of 1 cardamom pod, ground
- 1 TBSP grapefruit juice (or orange juice if you’d like to skip some bitterness)
- Peel and prepare your grapefruit.
- Squeeze a bit of juice out of a slice of grapefruit and mix it with the honey & ground cardamom.
- Add toppings & herb to the grapefruit and pour dressing on top.