This was my breakfast this morning – bright fruit salad, positively bursting with energy. I have been
thinking dreaming about it since yesterday and today I finally got to indulge in this refreshing, succulent rainbow of sweetness. No matter what you put in it and no matter how you slice ’em, a fresh bowl of fruits is bound to make your tummy pretty dang happy.
The dressing for this salad is pure magic. The creaminess of the tahini and the sweetness of the honey balance very nicely with the zesty citrus fruits, while the mint and the green cardamom simply add layers upon layers of awesomeness.
It’s probably obvious to you that fresh, vibrant food is an important part of my life. It looks pretty, it’s healthy (the whole ‘eat a rainbow’ story) and the simple act of preparing lots of colors makes me happy as a hippo. So it is with the best of intentions that I’m saying this to you: Go fruit yourself this weekend! Welcome simplicity, color and freshness into your life and enjoy the tastiness and happiness they bring.
This fruit salad is super high in vitamin C, a free radical fighting antioxidant, good for the body on the inside and on the outside, for our skin. It is also high in potassium, calcium, magnesium and manganese, as well as beta-carotene. It helps boost our immune system, helps us fight inflammation and can also help our body get rid of toxins.
- For the dressing:
- 3 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 TBSP tahini
- 1 TBSP sweetener of choice (raw honey, agave, maple syrup)
- seeds of 2 cardamom pods, ground
- For the salad I used:
- 1 orange, peeled and cubed
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 pear, pitted and cubed
- handful of strawberries, roughly chopped
- To serve: mint leaves and chia seeds
- To make the dressing add all ingredients to a small jar and shake well until combined.
- Add all your fruits and mint leaves to a bowl, add dressing and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with chia seeds.
- Enjoy and be happy!