I love creamy, hot and fragrant porridge on a cold, rainy morning! It feels like a warm hug and such a gentle, nourishing start to the day. Although I like fancy porridge and porridge parfaits and I love to take my time and dress them up pretty when…ahem… when I have time in the morning, but most often I find myself making this quick and easy classic flavor combination of apple and cinnamon which is oh so familiar to the taste buds.
I thought I’d share this recipe as opposed to a fancy one because 1) most likely you have an apple around the house 2) you most definitely have cinnamon in the pantry. And if you’re an oat lover (hello!), it means you have your fair share of oats stashed up as well, so then you can pretty much start cooking.
PS: What do you think of my videos so far? Are you loving them or are you LOVING them? 🙂 xx
Creamy apple and cinnamon porridge
Serves 2 (or maybe just 1 if you’re me)
- 3 grated apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups coconut milk (homemade or if you’re using canned use 1 cup canned coconut milk + 1 cup water)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- another 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Toppings. I used: 1 chopped mandarin, 1 passion fruit, few almonds and pecans and a bit of coconut flakes
- Add a small pot to low heat and allow it to gently warm up.
- Add the apples, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger and turmeric and stir well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and oats and stir well.
- Add rest of cinnamon and maple syrup and stir. Simmer gently for 3-4 minutes. And then you’re done!
- Remove from heat and spoon into bowl(s).
- Add toppings and serve warm.