No fancy recipe today, just a simple apple caramel flat tart. Or maybe I should call it a supersized pancake? I made it at the end of the day today, with only a handful of ingredients, no special machinery and in literally no time at all. If you’re crazy about apples and if you love a good apple tart, then think of this as your next favorite recipe, filled only with the good stuff – fresh apples, fresh dates, almonds, sunflower, coconut and cinnamon, of course. You really cannot have apples without cinnamon, can you?
Today I experienced one of the bestest days in the kitchen. Last night I was struck by almighty inspiration to develop some recipes for my new food venture (in case you didn’t know already, you can now eat what I make! yey!) and today was the day when those recipes came to life. I buzzed around in the kitchen aaaall day long and the result…oh my gosh, they look, taste & smell brilliant! A delight to all senses. I just love it when my efforts go beyond my own, high expectations, so I guess you could say I feel pretty proud about myself right now.
- For the base:
- 1 small apple, grated
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup sunflower meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 medjool dates
- For the caramel:
- 5 medjool dates
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- Topping: 1 small apple, cut in thin slices
- Mix ingredients for the base (except cinnamon) by hand until you have a sticky dough.
- Spread it on a sheet/baking paper and dehydrate for up to an hour, until it slightly firms up. Alternatively, you can put it in the oven for about 20 minutes (give or take), on the lowest setting and with the door ajar.
- Remove the base from the dehydrator/oven and allow it to rest/cool.
- Mix the ingredients for the caramel – you can also do this by hand.
- Press & spread caramel onto the base.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the caramel.
- Top with fresh apples, cut & enjoy.
- Best eaten with your hands!