I’ve had a handful of leftover rice noodles in the pantry for a little over 3 weeks and about 1 cup of leftover vegan mince in the fridge. And when I was also gifted a beautiful ripe mango, I knew these lettuce cups had to happen.
They are quite quick to put together and they make a beautiful summer lunch or dinner. I paired the above ingredients with corn and broccoli and dressed everything with a classic combination of soy sauce, ginger and sesame oil.
‘Beef’ mince and mango noodle lettuce cups
- 1 serve of rice noodles
- 1 cup vegan mince – cooked per instructions on the packet (I simple fried mine in a bit of olive oil)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 sweet corn, shucked
- 1/2 broccoli, chopped
- 1 small yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- 2cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1.5 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- black pepper, to taste
- chili sauce, to taste
- 1 small mango, diced
- to top: toasted sesame seeds, toasted cashews
- also to top: 1 lime and fresh coriander
- to serve: 8 baby cos lettuce leaves
- Add the rice noodles to a big bowl and pour hot water on top. Let them soak for 5 to 8 minutes, then drain and rinse. Set aside.
- Add 2 TBSP olive oil and the sesame oil to a big pan on medium heat.
- Add the corn, broccoli and capsicum to the pan and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the soy, grated ginger and vegan mince, as well as black pepper and chili sauce if using. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Drain the noodles and return to the big bowl.
- Add the fried veggies to the noodles.
- Add the mango to the noodles.
- Add the juice of the lime to the noodles and toss everything to combine.
- Arrange your lettuce cups on a platter.
- Divide the noodles between the 8 lettuce cups.
- Top with sesame seeds, cashews and coriander and serve.