I made these stuffed apples on a whim on Sunday and they turned out delish! I was toying around with an idea in my mind – what if apple porridge can be a little bit different, with more apple and less porridge… but also, what if porridge could be stuffed inside an apple? Well, it can and it got DONE.
They took about 3-4 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake. During this baking time, my taste buds were seriously challenged and anticipation built to sky high levels. Is there any aroma more comforting that that of baked apples? Mmmm, not a lot comes close.
Stuffed baked apples with pomegranate molasses drizzle
- 4 apples of your choice (I had some granny smith on hand)
- 4 TBSP quick oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 handful of currants
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp chai spices
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- drizzle is made with 1 tsp tahini + 1 tsp pomegranate molasses (whisk together)
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Add all the ingredients except the apples to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Microwave the oat mixture for 2 minutes then give it another stir and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Core your apples to remove the seeds and middle core, but not all the way to the bottom – you need to leave the bottom intact to hold the apple together while baking.
- Spread the oat mixture evenly between the 4 apples. Fill them all the way to the top.
- Place the apples in a small pan and add 1/3 cup water to the pan as well – this will help keep the apples moist during baking.
- Bake the apples covered for 20 minutes. I covered them with al foil.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the pomegranate tahini sauce and serve warm.