So, I have a teensy weensy secret to share with you. I’m quite surprised I was able to keep (sort of) quiet for the past couple of days, but I really really wanted to share the big news in style. In translation, with a fancy healthy cake. Now that the fancy healthy cake is ready and gorgeous and all yours to make, bare with me for a minute while I give you all a virtual hug to show my gratitude.
On Saturday, TalesofaKitchen won it’s very first award and you, my dearest of readers, played a huge part in it! You cheeky bunch of people really are the best. What an award! It left me pretty much speechless and looking all silly on stage. Your favorite blog won the People’s Choice Award in this years Voices of 2014. People’s Choice!! Your choice! Australia wide, across all types of blogs out there! What could one say to that? Umm, thank you?! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Now, let’s have some cake, shall we?
This beauty is almost too gorgeous to eat. But at the same time, so drool worthy that you cannot not dig in. I mean, it’s chocolate. And cherries. It’s chocolate AND cherries in the same cake. Pure. Epic. Flavors.
Prep time: 10 mins
Ingredients for the base:
- 1/2 cup mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup currants (oil/sugar free)
Ingredients for filling:
- handful of cherries
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 TBSP cacao powder
- 4 TBSP raw honey or maple syrup for a vegan version
- Toppings: melted raw chocolate (recipe here), few cherries and pomegranate seeds
- Add the ingredients for the base to a blender and process until you get a sticky ‘dough’.
- Press the dough into a small 9cm cake pan lined with baking paper.
- Pit and half few cherries and arrange them in a single layer on the cake base.
- Add the ingredients for the filling to the same blender (no need to wash it in between uses) and process until you get a super smooth, creamy mix. Scoop the mix onto the layered cherries, smooth the top of the cake, cover with cling wrap and place it in the freezer to firm up.
- When ready to serve, melt a bit of raw chocolate and pour on top of the cake. Serve with more fresh cherries and pomegranate seeds.